Re: [avr-gcc-list] [Fwd: building gcc/g++]

From: Peter Jansen
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] [Fwd: building gcc/g++]
Date: Mon, 07 Jan 2002 11:37:29 +1100

Hi,

Is this really necessary?
I have patched the makefiles, so that libiberty and libstdc++ isn't build.
Then I have patched gcc, so that it not requires libc++.
Was this the wrong approach?

That approach is ok I preferred to keep the mods to a minimum and I needed g++ so had to get it to compile.

The problem is, that the resulting g++ will not work correctly.
It tells me always, that I have no input files and that ':' will not exist.
Any hints about this?

I have g++ working, although I make libstc++, we are not using it.

If no, I can try your method.
What's the reason to build newlib?
Is it possible to use the resulting libc++?
I don't think libc++ is required by g++ for a correct compile.

Yes you are correct newlib is not required to make the compiler, however when the configure script runs it tries to compile a test program which needs stdio.h to compile which is only in newlib.

I figured that I had libstdc++ compiling without much effort I might as well not modify it and let it compile.

<snip>

I have posted patches for the ATmega128 for the above sources if you want ATmega128 support. Some of this support is already built into the CVS trees for gcc, binutils already for those who like like on the edge.

Are there some parts in which would be necessary for the other CPUs also?
Maybe some patches to Makefiles?

The patches are quite simple, I thought people working on the other processors could add them to the list I have not looked into the other processors and don't know their quirks.

Regards,

Peter Jansen