Re: [avr-gcc-list] 20020601 Libc AVR4/ATMega8 support?

From: Tony Mahar
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] 20020601 Libc AVR4/ATMega8 support?
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2002 00:11:50 -0400

Ok, some good news and some more issues.

Everything SEEMS to compile fine:

C:\gcctest\gcctest1>gcc_cmp
-------- begin --------
avr-gcc -c -g  -Os -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -Wa,-ahlms=gcctest1.lst -mmcu=a
tmeg
a8 -I. gcctest1.c -o gcctest1.o
avr-gcc  gcctest1.o  -Wl,-Map=gcctest1.map,--cref -mmcu=atmega8 -o
gcctest1.elf
avr-objcopy -O avrobj -R .eeprom gcctest1.elf gcctest1.obj
avr-objcopy -O ihex -R .eeprom gcctest1.elf gcctest1.hex
elfcoff gcctest1.elf coff gcctest1.cof gcctest1.sym
Ended
cp coff/gcctest1.cof .
cp coff/*sym .
avr-objcopy -j
.eeprom --set-section-flags=.eeprom="alloc,load" --change-section
-lma .eeprom=0 -O ihex gcctest1.elf gcctest1.eep
avr-size gcctest1.elf
     98       0       0      98      62 gcctest1.elf
Errors: none
-------- end --------

The only issue I ran into was the avrfreaks general makefile... in their
make file they use elfcof to generate the cof and symbol files....

The original setup was this:
%.cof: %.elf
 $(ELFCOF) $< $(OUT) $@ $*.sym
 $(CP) $(OUT)\$@ .
 $(CP) $(OUT)\\*sym .
 $(CP) $(OUT)\\*S .

The setup i had to use (with cygwin now... not mingw)
%.cof: %.elf
        $(ELFCOF) $< $(OUT) $@ $*.sym
        $(CP) $(OUT)/$@ .
        $(CP) $(OUT)/*sym .
#       $(CP) $(OUT)/*S .

However in my case there never was a *S file in the coff subdirectory and
would cause an error to be detected by AVR Studio 3.54.  What should have
been there?

Also, after SUCESSFUL compile I get the following two dialog windows:

First dialog error window:
"Error: One or more source files cannot be found"
Second dialog error window:
"Error in Nordic Object file"

When trying to open the .cof file for debugging in AVR Studio 3.54 (may 8
build) an error dialog box opens up:
"Error in memory size"

I remember seeing in avrfreaks the guy who made this program had the same
problem... not quite sure why i'm having it now.

THERE IS GOOD NEWS!
Opening up the hex file it is a great compile!  Debugging the .hex file
produces the desired simulation.

Tony