Re: [avr-gcc-list] avr-gcc credibility

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] avr-gcc credibility
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2002 11:23:26 +0200 (MET DST)

Marlin Unruh <address@hidden> wrote:

> If I understand correctly GNU or GCC is the same compiler that
> Linux is built with.

Indeed, actually it's the compiler that's used in the entire
Opensource software world, plus on some operating systems that don't
ship a compiler by default (like Solaris).  gcc is much older than
Linux, btw.

> GCC-AVR uses specific libraries written for
> the AVR.

It also needs a machine-dependant part for the AVR, originally written
by Denis Chertykov.  gcc largely divides the machine-dependant and the
machine-independent parts of the compiler.

> So basiclly using GCC-AVR you have the support of
> the Linux programming community, ...

For the machine-independent part, yes.

> * binutils - 20020614

That's the prerequisite for the compiler, this package contains things
like the assembler and the linker.  Again, both are modified version
of the widely used GNU assembler and linker.

> * avrgcc 3.2 - 20020610

That's the compiler for the AVR.

> * avr-libc - 20020612

That's the C library, which adds value to the compiler so you can
actually start using it for a specific AVR part you're going to
program to.  It minimally provides you with some runtime support that
links before your own code and takes care of initializing variables
etc.  Additionally, it provides a subset of the C standard library
functions.