RE: [avr-gcc-list] Experimental WinAVR/avr-gcc update for

From: E. Weddington
Subject: RE: [avr-gcc-list] Experimental WinAVR/avr-gcc update for
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2003 15:44:34 GMT

> Eric,
>
> >There has been suspicion that Atmel wants to keep their
> >cozy relationship with IAR; notice how well AVR Studio
> >works with the IAR compiler and not others. This would
also
> >apply to the "we're going to support ELF sometime soon"
> >feature.
>
> Exactly that kind of relationship between Atmel and IAR
> upsets me. They try to avoid fair and open competition.
> One may argue, that this is how business works. I strongly
> disagree. That's how short term business based on quartely
> results works.
>
> Let's face it and let's stop wasting time by dreaming of
> any kind of unsolicited GCC support from Atmel. The only
> way to go is, to create a better product. Regarding
> AVR Studio and JTAG support, this can be done easily.
>
> Harald

My feelings exactly.

Right now, on the Windows platform, there is GDB+AVaRICE
which allows use of the JTAG ICE. What is needed to replace
AVR Studio is having the SimulAVR project ported to
Windows! AFAIK, this now the only "major" open source AVR
project that is stable, that hasn't been built for Windows.

It' also been pointed out, however, that SimulAVR is not
quite as good of simulator as AVR Studio is. So more work
would need to be done on this project, under Ted's
direction. And I think a lot of people know that Ted is
perpetually swamped!

Eric