RE: [avr-gcc-list] Experimental WinAVR/avr-gcc update for

From: E. Weddington
Subject: RE: [avr-gcc-list] Experimental WinAVR/avr-gcc update for
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2003 15:32:36 GMT

> So what is the relationship between Atmel and IAR? I mean
I downloaded
> the eval copy of IAR's product, and I was entirely
unimpressed. I'd
> probably like it more if the compiler integrated into the
AVR Studio 4.

As to their relationship, you would have to ask Atmel. All
I can do is speculate based on publically available
information. I find it interesting that the file formats
that AVR Studio does support include:
1. Nordic Object Format: This if for Atmel's assembler.
2. UBROF - _Proprietary format from IAR_.
3. COFF - For other 3rd party compilers.

Jörg Wunsch, when he was writing the AVR to COFF converter,
pointed out that the COFF format is old and is very
unsuitable as a debugging format. Additionally, it cannot
support C++ features.

UBROF is proprietary to IAR. There is also a feature in AVR
Studio that, if you use IAR, you can printf values (such as
in debug code) and AVR Studio will automatically display
them in a windows. Nice, huh? This feature is not found in
any other compiler.

Interestingly, IAR has a C++ compiler. So does AVR GCC, but
GCC has to use the COFF format which doesn't support C++
features.

If Atmel supported the ELF format in AVR Studio, this would
very much put GCC at least on par with IAR, wrt debugging
in AVR Studio.

Hmm. You decide. ;-)

> Maybe I'll just write a decent IDE for the AVR, since I
haven't seen one
> that I like yet.

I could always use help to add Project Management to
Programmers Notepad, if you're interested.

Eric