Re: [avr-gcc-list] Experimental WinAVR/avr-gcc update for

From: E. Weddington
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] Experimental WinAVR/avr-gcc update for
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2003 23:00:03 GMT

AVR
> > Freaks, more people use GCC than any other AVR
compiler.)

> Yes but what percentage of shipped AVRs run code that was
compiled with gcc
> vs. that with IAR? I'm willing to bet that less than 25%
of all AVR revenue
> comes from chips that run gcc. Once you're paying someone
a decent salary to
> code your product it isn't a large step to spend a few
thousand $ on tools.
> Guys like me (and probably quite a few of you) buy only a
handful of AVRs
> per year. Of course I wouldn't buy any if it weren't for
avr-gcc :-)

> As sad as it us for us, it makes sense for Atmel to stay
close to IAR.

>   Sander

I guess what I find frustrating is that it seems to be to
the exclusion of other vendors. But, that's the nature of
the biz.

The trick is to come up with a reasonably competitive, open
source product that attracts enough users, commercial and
otherwise, that Atmel can't ignore it. *cough*

Eric