Re: [avr-gcc-list] ADC anomaly

From: Mattias Svensson
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] ADC anomaly
Date: Sat, 14 Feb 2004 23:57:33 +0100

Douglas Dotson wrote:
I have a strange anomaly with the ADC on a MEga32.
The ref voltage is 2.5, input voltage to channel 2
is 1.25. ADC reading settles at 511 or so. After
sitting with no activity for several hours, the ADC
reading drops to 508 or so but the input voltage
and ref voltages are stable at their proper values.
Any ideas?

A difference of 3 LSB sounds a little to small to be an anomaly...
I do not have the Mega32 datashet at hand, but for Mega16 under "ADC Characteristics" it says that the "Absolute Accuracy" (INL, DNL, QE, GE and OE included) is typically 1.5 LSB.

The 3 LSB difference in your case could be temperature drift due to the device heating up during your several hours test.

/Mattias S