Re: [avr-gcc-list] Debug with AVRStudio4?

From: Torleif Sandnes
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] Debug with AVRStudio4?
Date: Wed, 07 Sep 2005 13:53:03 +0200

Wolfgang Wegner wrote:
Hi,
On 7 Sep 2005 at 12:36, Torleif Sandnes wrote:

Your problem may be that you are compiling with optimization on.
Try to use -O0 instead of -Os, -O1 or whatever you are using.
You could also just remove the -O flag altogether.

the problem is that I can not remove the -O, because the code gets too big then. I have to use at least -O1.

I do not know if it is really the optimization - it was sometimes difficult to find the exact location and such with IAR-compiled code, but it worked - now I end up in the completely wrong function (some 100 lines away), so I assume it is not only optimization but a somewhat more basic problem.

Is there anything special concerning preprocessing etc. I might have a look at?

There is a limitation in avr-gcc's dwarf output at 64K sourcelines.
If you go beyond this number of sourcelines, source-level debugging breaks.

Is your problem still there if you use the simulator in AVR Studio?

Torleif