Re: [avr-gcc-list] Debug with AVRStudio4?

From: Wolfgang Wegner
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] Debug with AVRStudio4?
Date: Wed, 07 Sep 2005 14:03:30 +0100

On 7 Sep 2005 at 13:02, Joerg Wunsch wrote:
> My own experience says that it's best to get used to the artefacts
> caused by debugging optimized code, as a good number of programming
> errors will only be found once the optimizer is turned on (as the
> compiler will then aggressively impose all its rules onto the source
> program).
yes, that is my experience, too - under IAR I even had the problem
that some errors only came up with debugging info turned off... :-(

But still, I think I know the artefacts in debugging optimized code,
but at the moment, the combination WinAVR <-> AVRstudio is unusable
for debugging. At least I can not correlate the steps, breakpoints
and variable accesses to anything even remotely near the point where
AVRstudio thinks the ATMega is stepping right now.

Regards,
Wolfgang