Re: [avr-gcc-list] Global variables and ISRs ???

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] Global variables and ISRs ???
Date: Wed, 7 Sep 2005 21:24:13 +0200 (MET DST)

Vincent Trouilliez <address@hidden> wrote:

> Can't we just have an command line option to force the use of the
> H/W multiplier ?

Nope, because it doesn't make sense.

It needs to be fixed, OK, but it doesn't make the slightest sense to
start hacking up command-line option workarounds for not quite optimal
optimizations, instead of rather fixing the problem itself.  I doubt
your patches would be accepted by the GCC folks if you were trying to
do that.

> How should we do to submit this as a top-priority goal for
> the next release of avr-gcc ?

Top-priority?  Sorry.

Top-priority right now might be adding at least some form of support
for the ATmega256, as these devices apparently start to ship right
now.

There's for sure a lot of potential for improvement, but declaring
something "top-priority" because that's your opinion won't do
anything.  There are many similar minor improvements that could be
made, they probably sum up to maybe 10...20 % of possible savings if
really *all* of them were sorted out (that's about the size gain I
could observe when comparing AVR-GCC 3.4.4 against IAR EW 4.10), but
that's going to be *a lot* of work.