Re: [avr-gcc-list] How to rebuild AVR-GCC for Windows?

From: Erik Christiansen
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] How to rebuild AVR-GCC for Windows?
Date: Tue, 6 Dec 2005 17:47:51 +1100

On Mon, Dec 05, 2005 at 02:02:13PM -0500, Bob Paddock wrote:

> I want to build GCC 3.4.4/Binutils 2.16.1/AVR-LIBC 1.4
> as I need to use the Tiny2313, Mega164, and Mega325.
> Building all of these would be no problem for me on
> my Linux box at home.  Alas the power's-that-be here
> at work won't let me use Linux; "We are a windows
> shop here" I was told. :-(

<OT> (Well mostly, but it is a proven solution to the fundamental problem. :-)

Bob,

Have you considered running the windows machine, as asked, but a linux
box as well? Then, the tasks which happen to fail under MS can still
succeed on linux. Before long, nobody minds where the successes
originate.

For the last 9 years I've been the only linux user here. What works for
me is building the toolchain for each new target (MS users can then
replicate under cygwin), writing the linker scripts, and answering any
tool questions. When they ask for snmp, you build net-snmp on your
linux box without a hassle. When they ask for an eCos port, you do it on
linux, and the team can follow on MS, if they insist. (Mind you, I've
never used MS, so no-one suggests it any more. :-)

YMMV, depending on cheek.

</OT>

Erik