RE: [avr-gcc-list] Installing WinAVR 20070122 broke older 3.4.5 install?

From: Eric Weddington
Subject: RE: [avr-gcc-list] Installing WinAVR 20070122 broke older 3.4.5 install?
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2007 10:16:44 -0700

Yes, there are three keys being installed in the registry:

HKLM\Software\Free Software Foundation\WinAVR\GCC
HKLM\Software\Free Software Foundation\WinAVR\BINUTILS
HKLM\Software\Free Software Foundation\WinAVR\G++

Each of these keys should be set to the installation directory.

These keys are placed in the registry to help GCC find the various program
components (such as CC1).

Without these keys there is the possibility that GCC will search the
"prefix" directory that it stored internally when it was built. This
"prefix" directory is the directory that I give it when I build WinAVR. That
path may, or may not, be there on your system, and if it is not on your
system then it can wreak all sorts of havoc and slow down tremendously.

WinAVR was not originally built/designed for multiple installations, because
of these registry keys, but obviously your free to do whatever you like if
you can get it to work.

I would suggest just removing these keys altogether and see if it works for
your system.

HTH
Eric Weddington