Re: [avr-gcc-list] Installing WinAVR 20070122 broke older 3.4.5 install?

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] Installing WinAVR 20070122 broke older 3.4.5 install?
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2007 22:08:39 +0100 (MET)

"Bruce D. Lightner" <address@hidden> wrote:

>> Without these keys there is the possibility that GCC will search
>> the "prefix" directory that it stored internally when it was built.

Btw., compiling GCC using different --prefix settings at configuration
time would be GCC's "natural" way of handling different installations
in parallel.

> Is there any way to "override" the WinAVR information in the Windows
> "registry" by using, for example, "environment variables"?

Yes, they can be overridden with environment variables.  I had to
review gcc/prefix.c again (I guess it's also in their docs, but the
source code was easier to spot for me), the sequence is:

.. when running in a Win32 environment, the registry key GCC is
  looked up,
.. if not found, the environment variable GCC_ROOT is queried,
.. if not found, the configure-time default prefix is used.

So you have to remove the registry keys before the environment
variables will get into effect.

>  HKLM\Software\Free Software Foundation\WinAVR\WinAVR_20060421\GCC
>  HKLM\Software\Free Software Foundation\WinAVR\WinAVR_20060421\BINUTILS
>  HKLM\Software\Free Software Foundation\WinAVR\WinAVR_20060421\G++

This is not possible without modifying all the GNU tools.  What would
have been possible were to use ... FSF\WinAVR_<version>\GCC etc.
Adding one more level of indirection would require code changes (it
would not be something like a Win32 API if they were about resolving
the backslashes theirselves, it's rather the application that has to
traverse the nesting levels manually), while everything so far can be
done using a particular configure option to the GNU tools.  The
default is to use each tool's version number, e.g.

HKLM\Software\Free Software Foundation\4.1.1\GCC
HKLM\Software\Free Software Foundation\2.17\BINUTILS

Note that this default will only be useful for host-native tools, not
for a crosscompiler as it ships in WinAVR.