Re: [avr-gcc-list] gcc 4.3.0

From: Ruud Vlaming
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] gcc 4.3.0
Date: Sun, 13 Apr 2008 00:31:15 +0200

On Saturday 12 April 2008 21:19, Anatoly Sokolov wrote:

> > Also, I get an average increase of the codesize (everything identical
> > but the gcc version) of 5% moving from 4.2.3 to 4.3.0 (averiged
> > over 12 projects, varying from 1% to 9%). I did not yet did research
> > on the cause.
>
> Try use "--param inline-call-cost=5" switch.
>
>   The minimal codesize at value of parameter = 4..6 for
>   projects with 12KB of the codesize and at value 0..2 for
>   projects with < 6KB of the codesize.

That's an interesting optimization parameter. I tested all values
from 0 .. 6 for all projects. For no value of the parameter i get
equal sizes for both 4.2.3 and 4.3.0. Half of the time 4.3.0 is bigger
other half 4.2.3. But differences tend to be smaller.

In those cases it matters (if you just have to squeeze out some
more bytes) best approach would be just to try both versions
on all values of the optimization parameter and pick the smallest.

Thanks for the tip.

Ruud