[avr-gcc-list] Living With Atmel Studio 6.0

From: David Kelly
Subject: [avr-gcc-list] Living With Atmel Studio 6.0
Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2012 09:42:07 -0500

I think its time to start a new thread leveraged off another:

On Aug 9, 2012, at 9:05 AM, David Brown wrote:

> For what it's worth, I too dislike the newer AVR Studio - partly because I do
> most of my development work with Linux, and partly because even on Windows it
> is a bloated mess.  I can't figure out why they decided to use MS VS as a
> base - the industry has practically standardised on Eclipse, and the single
> biggest request from users for AVR Studio 5 was that it be cross-platform.
> But I guess Atmel had their reasons, and they are certainly good at making
> the compiler toolchain easily available from Linux, so I don't want to
> complain /too/ much.

Being the AVR-gcc list the development environment isn't really on-topic but
most seem to acquire avr-gcc bundled in Atmel Studio.

When I started on AVR an editor was bundled in WinAVR that I came to like. AVR
Studio was only launched to debug. CVS was used, and also served as an rsync
between my preferred editing machine (oddly that was nvi on FreeBSD via PuTTY,
but also often BBEdit on Mac) and my debugging machine (XP). That is a mode I
could happily return to. And might again. And a means for Atmel to meet their
cross-platform goals. Forget the editor, just get the debugger right.

But sometimes the right professional thing to do is not customize our
development environments so much that another could not reasonably replicate
and continue our work. That currently binds me to Atmel Studio 6.

So asking of others suffering with AS6, what SVN client do you use? Am thinking
I should advance from TortoiseSVN running outside of the dreaded VS10 shell to
something integrated. Perhaps something that knows more about what needs to be
saved and what doesn't. Something that knows the files are in a savable state
so I don't have to exit AS6 to make sure everything is properly flushed to disk.

--
David Kelly N4HHE, address@hidden