Re: [avr-gcc-list] Living With Atmel Studio 6.0

From: David Kelly
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] Living With Atmel Studio 6.0
Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2012 12:05:13 -0500

On Aug 9, 2012, at 11:18 AM, Erik Christiansen wrote:

>> You should be highly sceptical about using integrated SVN clients in
>> other programs.  It is important that you don't mix major version
>> numbers of the svn clients on a machine - you'll end up corrupting
>> your local svn metadata, or at least getting error messages about
>> version compatibility.  So install TortoiseSVN gui client /and/
>> command line tools, and stick to integrated svn clients that work
>> using external command-line tools.  (This is for brain-dead windows,
>> of course - on Linux or BSD you install the subversion client
>> libraries once, and all programs use that automatically.)
>
> Having observed other projects repeatedly have trouble with M$-based
> version control applications, I've only allowed versioning on unix.
> Things have doubtless improved more recently.

I do host my SVN repository on MacOS X. I will not let other SVN executables
directly manipulate my repository.

>> You should not have to exit AS6 to make it save files (or else it is
>> worse than I thought).  As to which files to store in the svn
>> repository, that is up to you.  I store the source files (obviously),
>> Makefiles, and often the final .hex file (since it makes it
>> convenient for testing or programming from different machines).
>
> Yes, and the specifications, in plaintext preferably. I've rarely had
> them remain static for the life of a project. That makes it easier to
> prove "Specification Redefinition" as cause of a reported defect, for
> use in the bug database, as it comes into use prior to alpha testing.

That is a bone I have to pick with IDE's. I want things written out nice and
simple as with Makefiles, not buried under a GUI.

I have a Windows project which uses libtomcrypt. Got the lib compiled long time
ago under VS2008 Express. Then built another project linking against it. This
past week I needed to start another and spent nearly a solid day hunting down
the buried small changes in each project's Properties before I finally had a
new project that would build.  :-(

But also some here are mistaking the IDE with the text editor.

I am happy with the gnu toolchain, build with Makefile. Edit with something
else. But the one big thing Atmel needs to get right is the debugger.

--
David Kelly N4HHE, address@hidden