Re: [avr-gcc-list] Living With Atmel Studio 6.0

From: Erik Christiansen
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] Living With Atmel Studio 6.0
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2012 02:46:44 +1000

On 09.08.12 10:54, Dave Harper wrote:
> It seems like throughout my career nothing has been
> more dynamic than the tools I've used.  Virtually every time I start
> a project the first thing that needs to be done is to re-evaluate the
> current tools and put together a new set that will get the job done.

About a decade and a half ago, I escaped that struggle. I've lost count
of the number of projects that have since used only the gnu toolchain,
across M68K, PowerPC, V850, and, AVR, that I can still remember.

The first step was always to build the cross-target toolchain from
source, and salt the source away for the life of the project, together
with newlib, or whatever was replacing glibc on the embedded target.
(Usually the work of a few hours - less if no config tweaks had to be
figured out for the build.) Then the RTOS.

There's enough to tackle on a new project, without ditching hard-won
toolset expertise as well.

Erik

--
Duct tape is like the force.  It has a light side, and a dark side, and
it holds the universe together.