Re: [avr-gcc-list] How to handle paths with spaces?

From: Bob Paddock
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] How to handle paths with spaces?
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2014 07:46:07 -0400

On Thu, Jul 17, 2014 at 5:02 AM, Erik Christiansen
<address@hidden> wrote:
> On 17.07.14 14:18, Royce Pereira wrote:
>> Oops.
>>
>> I should have mentioned :p ...
>>
>> I'm using WinAVR on windows 7.
>
> Ah, well, I'm no use as an advisor then.

Actually your idea works in Windows7.

mklink /d Drive:\PathWithNoSpace "Drive:\Path With Space"
Must have administrator rights to run mklink.

Don't know if the underlying implementation hides the space to solve
the problem or not,
I've always avoided spaces.  There are several places in MinGW/MSys
and Windows ports of Unix tools that don't deal with spaces correctly.

Running a BASH shell such as :

http://win-bash.sourceforge.net/

or msys might work as well.

Really it is just better to avoid spaces in anything, paths or users names.
Sadly sometimes IT mandates where things go on a system without regard
to the pain they cause.