Re: [avrdude-dev] Support for Futurlec AVR development boards

From: Brian Dean
Subject: Re: [avrdude-dev] Support for Futurlec AVR development boards
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2004 21:50:34 -0500

On Thu, Jan 29, 2004 at 04:07:28AM +0200, address@hidden wrote:

> It's inconsistent.... but it appears that since I ran AVRdude last time
>  yesterday, it left all signals low, including RESET. Which prevented
> the 8535 from running as long as the cable was connected.

> However, as I just ran AVRdude with -E noreset, it put it back into
> (inactive) high, and it continues to do so subsequently without
> having to supply the -E noreset again.

This is most likely because the first time you ran it, whatever PPI
pin was assigned to /RESET was initially low, and AVRDUDE restored the
port to the state that it found it in after the exit, which was low,
and your target didn't run.  You then ran with -E noreset, which left
the pin high after exit.  Then, on subsequent runs, even without
specifying -E noreset, AVRDUDE just restored the PPI port to the state
it found it in, which now had /RESET high.

> Hey, just one question: is it possible to set or reset the pins of
> the LPT with AVRdude, without actually reading or writing?

Yes, but you'll need to at least specify a part since AVRDUDE refuses
to do much at all without a part to work with.  If your programmer is
not actually attached, or if a part is not hooked up, you may get an
error saying "initialization failed", bit it should still set the
specified exitspecs.

-Brian