RE: [Axiom-developer] CVS, Arch, Darcs

From: Jason White
Subject: RE: [Axiom-developer] CVS, Arch, Darcs
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2004 10:04:59 +1100

Weiss, Juergen writes:

 > I would argue in favor of using out of the box tools (gcl,
 > notangle etc.). Development on one Linux platform only
 > -- others can send patches for other Linux platforms and
 > other operating systems (BSD, OS X, Windows) and test
 > these.

As one who has been following the list rather than participating, this
seems reasonable enough. Another approach would be to adopt
portability guidelines, I suppose, as some projects do. However, I
expect this would mostly (entirely?) apply to the C code rather than
to the Lisp or Axiom code, and to the build procedure.

 > I'm not an expert on CVS, Arch, Darcs. But my impression
 > is, that we spent more time on changing the systems used
 > than on using CVS on nongnu.org in an efficient way.
 >
>From reading the list, I agree with that impression but it is also
quite clear that Tim has been trying to maintain multiple branches of
development efficiently, that CVS has significant limitations and that
it is worth investing time in an alternative, namely Arch. It is to be
hoped this will settle down fairly quickly. Even the CVS developers
agree that CVS has reached the end of the line, which is why they
wrote Subversion.