[Axiom-developer] Re: proposal to create the Axiom Foundation (was: boun

From: Camm Maguire
Subject: [Axiom-developer] Re: proposal to create the Axiom Foundation (was: bounties etc.)
Date: 19 Nov 2004 09:22:52 -0500

Greetings!  Thanks, Bill, as always for your amazing initiative!

If the group determines it is useful to have such a foundation, and
you would like me to assist in making decisions regarding the
foundation, I'd be glad to help.  Personally, I would not feel
comfortable about accepting funds for axiom work.  Its existence is
its own payment, far exceeding in value IMHO any 'bounty' we'd set.
The other difficulty of course is in judging when a task has been
adequately completed to warrant disbursement of the bounty.  Still
another is to ensure that the author (ideally) remains committed to
fixing/maintaining his/her code.  Introducing this dynamic might tend
to interfere with the spirit and collegiality of most open source
projects I've worked with.  This said, if axiom is in need of funds
for some good reason, I might be able to help provide some.

I've been a bit too reticent about my plans re: axiom I think.  I've
been planning on implementing Zeliberger for axiom and working through
the issues in some of the symbolic summation bugs.  I'm about halfway
through the book, and have just discovered Caruso's paper on his
implementation for maxima.  This is my intention.  I hesitate to speak
about it prematurely, as I want to ensure that I can find the time to
bring it to successful completion.  If there is anything more
pressing, or if anyone else is already doing this, please let me know.

If my experience with GCL is any guide, improvements of this sort have
a high activation energy of thoroughly mastering the internals of the
system.  Once this is done, many such projects can be completed
relatively quickly.  Alas, I still have to fully digest the axiom
docs, and especially Tim's earlier posts on axiom debugging/tracing
facilities.

I like maxima, and all, but in truth I think axiom should be more
popular.  With user-base/mindshare comes a lot of synergy, IMHO.
Right now, I think axiom is effectively targeted at too small a class
of people -- researchers in mathematical computing.  We need to expand
this to the general technical user, and then things will take off.

Not that it is very representative, but I check these out every so
often:

http://people.debian.org/~igloo/popcon-graphs/index.php?packages=axiom&show_installed=on&show_vote=on&show_old=on&show_recent=on&show_nofiles=on&want_percent=on&beenhere=1

http://people.debian.org/~igloo/popcon-graphs/index.php?packages=maxima&show_installed=on&show_vote=on&show_old=on&show_recent=on&show_nofiles=on&want_percent=on&beenhere=1

Take care,