[Axiom-developer] proposal to create the Axiom Foundation (was: bounties

From: Bill Page
Subject: [Axiom-developer] proposal to create the Axiom Foundation (was: bounties etc.)
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2004 21:48:07 -0500

On Thursday, November 18, 2004 9:35 PM Tim Daly wrote:

> re: bounties. i have no objection to someone setting up
> a bounty or paypal system on the savannah site. however,
> i'm unlikely to have anything to do with it except maybe
> to contribute some cash. money has a way of making the
> rational into the emotional and experience tells me to
> avoid it. so my response to the whole bounty issue is
> "anyone but me".

Ok. Personally, I don't have a problem with being emotional
about money, so that's all the encouragement I need... :)

I volunteer to setup such a fund. But here more precisely is
what I propose (and I am open to any alternate suggestions on
all points):

1. We call in the "Axiom Foundation". I am not worried at all
   right now about it's legal status or anything. Just a name
   will do on which to hang the idea.

2. Decisions on behalf of the Axiom Foundation will be made by a
   small sub-group. Maybe 3 people? I would like to think that
   with a small group it will be possible to make all important
   decisions by consensus (everyone must agree). I'll be asking
   for volunteers at the end of this note. If more that 3 people
   step up for the job then maybe we can take a vote or something.

3. The main task of the Axiom Foundation will be to serve as the
   "official" channel through which to promote the development
   and maintenance of the open source version of Axiom through the
   dispersement of donations and sponsorship money to Axiom-related
   activities.

4. Right now I can think of at least two potentially fundable
   activites:

   4a. The axiom-developer.org host system

   4b. Bounties (relatively small promotional awards) to be paid
       for programming work done enhance Axiom

   Perhaps we will be able to identify others, but I think that
   the list should remain short.

5. I am willing to take initial responsibility for setting up and
   administering a paypal account (and/or any other acceptible
   financial means) on behalf of the Axiom Foundation and I agree
   to act on the funds collected according to the instructions of
   the Axiom Foundation.

6. Finally, the people I would personally like to see volunteer
   as initial members of the Axiom Fundation are:

   Martin Rubey
   Bob McElrath
   Camm Macquire

   The only reason I left Tim's name of the list is that he
   already seems especially shy about the idea. :)

Comments please.