Re: [Axiom-developer] /dev/null, noweb and Axiom

From: Gabriel Dos Reis
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] /dev/null, noweb and Axiom
Date: 14 Aug 2006 20:17:25 +0200

root <address@hidden> writes:

> [...]
| > |
| > | The use of ${TMP}/null rather than /dev/null is intentional.
| >
| > I know it is intentional.  However, I seriously question the decision
| > behind it.
| >
| > Anyway, currently ${TMP}/null is useless one build noweb.
| >
| > | Axiom does not write outside of it's directory subtree for any reason.
| > | Following this philosophy it cannot write to /dev/null, which may not
| > | even exist on certain platforms such as windows.
| >
| > Which "flavour" of windows that can built Axiom (with current build
| > system) and does not have /dev/null?
|
| It's not a question of theology or flavors (or flavours).

I'm sorry to say, but a principle followed blinded without taking into
account reality is theology.

[...]

| If you state a principle there is nothing else to explain.

That *is* theology.

| The guiding principle in this case is that
|
|   Axiom never writes outside its own directory

This *is simply untrue*, at least if you build Axiom+GCL.

[...]

| > That is close to theology.  /dev/null is very particular and must be
| > exempted from the general rule.
| >

| Why?

Because there simply is no single system on which Axiom has been built
and where it was impossible to redirect to /dev/null/  That is a
*fact*.  Your principles must take that fact into account.

| If we assume /dev/null exists we will open ourselves to a porting
| issue as soon as we attempt a native Windows port.

Exactly on which windows where will you be able to build Axiom without the
ability to rediect to /dev/null.  I believe you are trying to solve a
theoretical problems that has no practical foundation.

As a data point, there are plenty of software Autoconfiscated that
build and runs perfectly on windows.