[Axiom-developer] #pile vs. non-#pile

From: Ralf Hemmecke
Subject: [Axiom-developer] #pile vs. non-#pile
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2006 22:35:55 +0200

)abbrev domain MYIARR MyIndexedOneDimensionalArray
MyIndexedOneDimensionalArray(S:Type, mn:Integer):_
                 Exports == Implementation where
   Qsetelt ==> SETELT$Lisp
   Qnew ==> GETREFV$Lisp

  Exports == OneDimensionalArrayAggregate S with

On August 19, 2006 1:15 PM Ralf Hemmecke wrote:
... Anyway that is a very good example why pile syntax is
terrible.

Ralf, I am sorry but your comment makes be rather angry. :(

I hope you have some mercy with me. But I cannot believe that you find that code easily readable.

Is it so obvious for the untrained eye that the indentation of the line after the _ is irrelevant? (Actually, I don't know this rule by heart.) What if the line "Exports == Implementation where" were a bit longer so that you have to break it again with _? How much would you indent this third line then?

I agree that in some cases #pile mode might look nice, but I turned away from it long ago (because of code like the above).

Sorry that I posted my personal opinion. Important for me is that code should be easily readable (whether pile or not) and for that we should introduce some style conventions. (I have mine for non-pile mode more or less encoded in aldor-mode.el. But if more people start programming in Aldor I'll probably start a Wikipage about style conventions.)

Ralf