RE: [Axiom-developer] RE: Another question

From: Page, Bill
Subject: RE: [Axiom-developer] RE: Another question
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2006 19:17:44 -0400

Ralf,

On Monday, August 21, 2006 6:15 PM you wrote:

> On 08/21/2006 04:43 PM, Bill Page wrote:
> > Martin,

> >> Martin Rubey wrote:
> >> Please note that Ralf's ALLPROSE does this already, also
> >> using tex4ht.
> >
> > Bill Page wrote:
> > I am sorry Martin, but I don't understand. ALLPROSE does what
> > already? The problem referred to above is related to generating
> > HTML from Axiom pamphlet source that can be used on the Axiom
> > Wiki. Does Ralf have a version of ALLPROSE that can do that?
> > If so, could you add some example pages to wiki?
>
> Currently, I don't think that you need ALLPROSE to get the
> pamphlet files shown as html. Tex4ht should be quite enough.

Understood.

> The problem I see is that every pamphlet file is a separate thing.
> No links between different files. But let's not bother with that
> now. As I understood, someone wants an html button for the pamphlet
> files that triggers a routine to produce HTML from the .pamphlet.

Or perhaps as a replacement for the "thumbnail" image of the first
page which is currently rendered as a png? Or maybe it better to
keep this thumbnail since in some cases the document can be very
large, e.g. the entire Axiom Book.

For example:

http://wiki.axiom-developer.org/book--main--1/Bookvol1

I'll agree to an 'html' button on the header line. :)

> First of all, we still haven't agreed on a general structure of
> pamphlet files. All I have seen is that most (if not all) contain
> the lines
>
> \documentclass{article}
> \usepackage{axiom}
> \begin{document}
> \end{document}

Yes.

> If for the purpose of translating that file to html you provide
> an appropriate axiom.sty (and axiom.4ht) which can be different
> from the current existing axiom.sty, then I believe that should
> be doable.

Sorry, I've forgotten most of what I once knew about tex4ht. :)
Of course we want only one source file from which to generate all
of the dvi, ps, pdf and html. I presume that the required changes
to 'axiom.sty' can be made compatible with all these formats?

What is axiom.4ht? Can it be present in the source .tex even
if I just run latex to get the standard dvi, ps, and pdf?

> Let's press the html button.

You mean metaphorically speaking ... :)

I the case of the Axiom Wiki this action actually takes place
during the 'Save' button processing. The 'html' link on the
header line would be just that - a link to the html file
previously generated by htlatex.

> Then noweave is called to produce .tex.
> Then htlatex is called to produce .html.
> (you might want to call makeindex/bibtex... in the middle)

When generating .html with embedded images for the formula
where do the image files go? Subdirectory? Since there will
be multiple pamphlet files on the wiki, we must take care
where to put the bits and pieces.

> I don't see the problem except that tex4ht sometimes needs
> a little help if strange commands appear in the LaTeX text.

Yes, as I recall this is were we ran into some trouble. The Axiom
pamphlet files contain a lot of tex neologisms which are acceptable
to latex but the author of tex4ht, Eitan Gurari, considers need
not be accepted by tex4ht.

http://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/axiom-developer/2005-10/msg00233.ht
ml

So it seems that to get reliable HTML this way, we may need to
upgrade the standard of LaTeX used in the Axiom pamphlet files.

Eitan Gurari was also working on a jsMath version of tex4ht. I am
not sure of the status of that version.

> Or maybe that is not the goal, then please clarify what should be
> achieve and what is the input.

Yes, I think that is the goal.

I am willing to give this a try. But I am probably going to need
some help. :)

When latex is called during 'Save' we save the log file and make
it accessible by the 'log' link on the header line so that the
use can check it for errors. Perhaps we also need a separate link
for the log produced by 'htlatex' since these apparently will some
times be different.