[Axiom-developer] Re: \begin{chunk}

From: Ralf Hemmecke
Subject: [Axiom-developer] Re: \begin{chunk}
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2006 12:06:00 +0200

Hello

On 09/10/2006 06:10 PM, Gabriel Dos Reis wrote:
On Sun, 10 Sep 2006, C Y wrote:

| --- Ralf Hemmecke <address@hidden> wrote:
|
| > There is also the "listings" LaTeX package which should be
| > considered.
|
| That was the one I was thinking of.

yes, some of my colleagues use it.  Over the year, I've come to prefer
the package fancyvrb because it is very flexible and it gives me all I
want.

I really find the idea of singling out keywords very curious and
anti-abstraction.

What exactly do you mean? That you have to write something
On page 17 of
http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/macros/latex/contrib/listings/listings-1.3.pdf#search=%22listings%20latex%22

\lstset{emph={square},      emphstyle=\color{red},
        emph={[2]root,base},emphstyle={[2]\color{blue}}}
\begin{lstlisting}
for i:=maxint to 0 do
begin
    j:=square(root(i));
end;
\end{lstlisting}

??? In particular the \lstset{..} command?

If yes, then I agree.

But assume you could tangle Aldor code and retain some information of the .pamphlet file inside the .as file. The Aldor compiler should have an option to spit out a file (something like an .aux file) that would magically add such statements (in fact hyperlinks) to the appropriate chunks. We then would write \begin{chunk}{NAME of the chunk} ... \end{chunk} instead of \begin{lstlisting} ... \end{lstlisting}. If you don't run the Aldor compiler you still could latex, but you just don't get the hyperlinks.

That is what I would consider ideal. Now, I think, whether the input syntax is <<...>> or \begin{chunk}{...} does not really matter that much. The aldor compiler would be needed to figure out where the definition of a particular keyword is and that is where the trouble begins.

I am not completely against a syntax change, but it should not be just a simple change. It should add some real value. Otherwise it is just wasted time.

 All the examples in

  http://www.research.att.com/~bs/popl06.pdf

are typset with fancyvrb.

I guess that could have been done with ordinary latex features like \begin{verbatim} ... \end{verbatim}. The only places that I see that are impossible is the slanted text referring to "ConceptName". But note that you are writing for a paper journal and you only give program snippets. I would like links from a usage of an identifier to its definition. Just suppose you have all the pamphlets online as html.

Ralf