RE: [Axiom-developer] SVN on sourceforge

From: Page, Bill
Subject: RE: [Axiom-developer] SVN on sourceforge
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2006 14:25:37 -0400

Ralf,

On Tuesday, September 12, 2006 12:05 PM you wrote:

> Why cannot we first agree on how to fix it. Just removing the
> SVN properties (svn:eol-style and svn:keywords) is probably
> NOT enough.

Agreed.

> I have given a short procedure that should do the work
> without much trouble.
>
>  >>So basically, the procedure would be.
>
>  >>1) Remove the svn:keywords property from ALL files.
>  >>2) Remove the svn:eol-style property from binary files
>       (maybe even ALL would be OK???)

I think it would be better to be selective and leave the
svn:eol-style property as set on the text files.

>  >>3) Checkout a fresh copy of silver/trunk.
>  >>4) Copy all source files from --patch-50 to silver/trunk.
>  >>5) Commit the change.
>  >>   My wild guess is that svn only commits the files that actually
>  >>   differ from the repository. I hope that svn does not take the
>  >>   copy date into account.

This looks like the right approach.

> I just have no confirmation from anybody on the list that
> this would be the right way to go.

I think you should do it.

>  From what I have seen the binary property is set correctly
>  already.
>
> I would even do the update of the Silver TRUNK, but if nobody
> is convinced that the procedure is correct I rather hesitate
> to make a mess out of the trunk.

I don't think you can make it any worse. :-) This is a repository
anyway, so if it turns out not so good, then we just revert it.
Rember to check Tim's "patches-49-50" file to compare his original
lisk of changes. It looks to me like the only thing Tim missed
was to delete the svn:eol-style property from the binary files.

As far as I know there have been no patches directly to trunk
that are not also in arch axiom--main-1 branch. The only real
new work in Axiom Silver is going on in build.improvements.

The sooner we get trunk fixed up, the sooner we can plan on
merging build.improvements back into trunk and then into Gold.

Thanks for you offer to help with this.