RE: [Axiom-developer] RE: Google Code repository

From: Page, Bill
Subject: RE: [Axiom-developer] RE: Google Code repository
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2006 13:53:15 -0400

Gaby,

I am having a terrible time trying to install both subversion as
a server and svk on the axiom-developer.org server.

Both the problem (and the advantage) of subversion as a server
is that it integrates closely with Apache. The version of
Apache that we are running on axiom-developer is too old and
in any case would need to be re-compiled with different options
to use the mod_dav_svn module. So before I can get that working
I have to first have to re-build Apache from source. Getting
this right and converting our httpd.conf configuration to the
new version of Apache is going to take me a few more days. :-(

In the mean time I have also been trying to install svk on this
server because in principle it can be used to help with mirroring
svn branches on other systems and provides additional features
such as star-merge etc.

But even this installation is turning out to be very difficult!
:-( As we discussed during the Skype meeting on Monday, in order
to get svk running I have been struggling with the prerequisite
svn secondary installation procedures that involves some serious
Perl dependencies, svn::core etc. I thought I (finally) had all
that figured out, but now I get the following error when trying
to start svk:

address@hidden page]$ svk
Can't locate Class/Autouse.pm in @INC (@INC contains:
/usr/lib/perl5/5.8.0/i386-linux-thread-multi /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.0
/usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.0/i386-linux-thread-multi
/usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.0 /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl
/usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.0/i386-linux-thread-multi
/usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.0 /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl
/usr/lib/perl5/5.8.0/i386-linux-thread-multi /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.0 .) at
/usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.0/SVK.pm line 6.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at
/usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.0/SVK.pm line 6.
Compilation failed in require at /usr/bin/svk line 6.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/bin/svk line 6.
address@hidden page]$

-------

Perhaps you or someone else who is more familiar with the advanced
use of Perl than I am could suggest where to go from here?

<frustration>
  Man! You sure can tell that subversion was designed by people
  who liked cvs ... ;)
</frustration>