RE: [Axiom-developer] RE: Google Code repository

From: Page, Bill
Subject: RE: [Axiom-developer] RE: Google Code repository
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2006 22:36:17 -0400

Greg,

On Thursday, September 21, 2006 8:26 PM you wrote:
> Bill Page wrote:
> > I just did:
> >
> >   $ LANG=C perl -MCPAN -e 'install File::Type'
> >
> > and the install worked fine.
>
> But the execution...
> A "LANG=C svk ..." will be necessary I think.

No, that is not necessary when running svk - only when doing
that particular install. SVK is working now, but before I
could complete all of the steps in Gaby's recipe at:

http://wiki.axiom-developer.org/AxiomSilverBranch

svk was interrupted by Perl exceptions and I had to satisfy
at least 6 more dependencies via cpan. I have just completed
the final checkout from the mirror and everything looks ok.

This svk thing is a real rats nest of Perl dependencies. I
don't understand why these dependencies were not automatically
satisfied during the svk installation procedure. But maybe
because I had so much trouble with installing svn in the
proper way so that svk could talk to it, I somehow managed
to munge that part of the svk install. But if this is the
normal install experience for svk, I certainly wouldn't
recommend it for the inexpérimentée.

Anyway, all's well that ends well... Well almost. It turns out
that during the 'svk sync /mirror/axiom' the download from
SourceForge failed about at least 6 times and had to be
manually restarted. That did not happen to be before while
working on the axiom-developer.org server. But at least it
restarted properly without irrecoverably locking any files
or anything.

End result: I still have serious doubts about svn and svk.
:(