Re: [Axiom-developer] Literated VMLISP.LISP.PAMPHLET

From: Ralf Hemmecke
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Literated VMLISP.LISP.PAMPHLET
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2006 22:10:50 +0200

Kai,

I don't much understand lisp, but what you did in literating the code is just super.

On 09/21/2006 05:51 PM, Kai Kaminski wrote:
Hi,

I've 'literated' VMLISP.LISP.PAMPHLET (the result is attached), which
contains compatibility/utility code. In particular, I did the
following:

1) I gave most functions their own chunk. Sometimes I put several
   functions in a single chunk, mostly because they didn't need
   individual documentation. For example there are a lot of aliases. I
   put most of them in a single chunk.

For a first approximation that is OK, but I don't believe that the chunk names should agree with the names of the functions. If literate programming is done in that way, it doesn't add any value.

Not only the documentation around the function should describe the idea behind the code also the chunk names should should tell what the code is used for. So you would have

<<compute a Groebner basis>>=
<<initialize basis and critical pairs>>
while not empty criticalPairs repeat {
    <<take a critical pair>>
    <<compute the S-polynomial>>
    h := <<reduce the S-polynomial with respect to current basis>>
    if not zero? h then {
        <<update basis and critical pairs>>
    }
}
@

That's the essence of the GB-algorithm. And literate programs should convey this essence.

I admid that for LISP it's proably harder to put it into that style, but I guess, we are all learning what exactly LP is while we make experiences with real code.

2) I added/removed blank lines and comments. The latter only if they
   appeared to be useless. Otherwise I just kept them.

3) I *did not* change the capitalization/formatting of code. At least
   not intentionally.

4) I *did* change the order of function definitions. This was
   necessary since I put several functions within a single chunk.

5) I *did not* delete any code that wasn't commented out.

[snip]

8) I built Axiom using the new version. The build didn't finish, but
   it failed in the same spot as with the old one (algebra: compiling
   ahyp.spad). Cliff (CY) apparently succeeded building Axiom with the
   new file.

[snip]

I think since you are not deleting or modifying code, you should just check, whether the notangled .lisp file is identical to the one from the monolithic chunk. It should be no problem to achive this. Then you are sure that the compilation will run through.

Good luck for all your work to come. Axiom will benefit from it.
Acually we need more people like Kai.

Ciao
Ralf