RE: [Axiom-developer] RE: gcl-2.6.8pre on MAC OSX 10.2

From: Bill Page
Subject: RE: [Axiom-developer] RE: gcl-2.6.8pre on MAC OSX 10.2
Date: Thu, 2 Nov 2006 23:03:43 -0500

Humberto,

On November 2, 2006 10:36 PM you wrote:
> I have a working gcl on the ppc,

Excellent! :-)

> what do I need to do to build build-improvements?
>
> Just pull the source with:
>
> svn co https://svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/axiom/ \
>          branches/build-improvements axiom.build-improvements

Yes.

> and build with the out-of-tree gcl?

Yes. This should be automatic if gcl is accessible in your PATH.
but you can specify ./configure --with-gcl

> or do I have to splice the gcl into the axiom sources?

No, that is not necessary.

The only problem you *might* have is that to build Axiom you
also need the noweb literate programming tools. A version of
noweb is in the build-improvements distribution and should be
built automatically as the first step of the build if you do
not already have it installed and in your PATH. But I have
had some problems in the past getting this to work (maybe it
is fixed now?) and have had to resort to untarring the noweb
tarball from the axiom build-improvements /zip directory
and building and installing it manually before attempting
to build Axiom. If you do have noweb previously installed
then use --with-noweb.

The build-improvements branch supports "out-of-source" builds
which simplifies things considerably when repeating builds.
I usuall do something like this:

 $ mkdir axiom.test
 $ cd axiom.test
 $ ../axiom.build-improvements/configure --prefix=/home/page \
  --with-noweb --with-gcl

To build Axiom you will also need latex and X11.

You might also need the openpty patch provided earlier today
by Waldek Hebisch.

Good Luck!