RE: [Axiom-developer] RE: gcl-2.6.8pre on MAC OSX 10.2

From: Bill Page
Subject: RE: [Axiom-developer] RE: gcl-2.6.8pre on MAC OSX 10.2
Date: Sat, 4 Nov 2006 00:34:00 -0500

On November 3, 2006 2:16 PM Waldek Hebisch wrote:

> Gabriel Dos Reis wrote:
> > Waldek Hebisch <address@hidden> writes:
> >
> > | Not yet.  In a message that I sent few minutes ago I proposed to
> > | rename 'poly.ht' to 'polys.ht' and 'poly.pht' to 'polys.pht'.
> >
> > Please go ahead and commit to build-improvements.  Add an
> > explanation (in the pamphlets) about the renaming.
>
> Commited.  But after extra checking I see more problem.  Namely
> in 'src/hyper/bitmaps' we have the following pairs:
>
> xi.bitmap Xi.bitmap
> upsilon.bitmap Upsilon.bitmap
> theta.bitmap Theta.bitmap
> sigma.bitmap Sigma.bitmap
> psi.bitmap Psi.bitmap
> pi.bitmap Pi.bitmap
> phi.bitmap Phi.bitmap
> omega.bitmap Omega.bitmap
> lambda.bitmap Lambda.bitmap
> gamma.bitmap Gamma.bitmap
> delta.bitmap Delta.bitmap
>
> aTx=b.bitmap ATX=B.bitmap
>
> The first group consists of images of greek letters, version with
> lowercase name is lowercase letter, while uppercase letter has
> the first letter of filename in upper case.

I suggest the following changes:

s/Xi.bitmap/xi-cap.bitmap/
s/Upsilon.bitmap/upsilon-cap.bitmap/
s/Theta.bitmap/theta-cap.bitmap/
s/Sigma.bitmap/sigma-cap.bitmap/
s/Psi.bitmap/psi-cap.bitmap/
s/Pi.bitmap/pi-cap.bitmap/
s/Phi.bitmap/phi-cap.bitmap/
s/Omega.bitmap/omega-cap.bitmap/
s/Lambda.bitmap/lambda-cap.bitmap/
s/Gamma.bitmap/gamma-cap.bitmap/
s/Delta.bitmap/delta-cap.bitmap/

I think the following two files are not used anywhere:

aTx=b.bitmap
ATX=B.bitmap

(See list of unused bitmap files below.)

> Also in 'src/doc/ps' we have 'SEGBIND.ps' and 'segbind.ps'.
> 'segbind.ps' is a screen dump of a graphic window containing a
> parabola.  I can not really see 'SEGBIND.ps' because it triggers
> Postscript stack error in ghostscript (like many other files in
> 'src/doc/ps' :(.

I think all .ps files that are not referenced in any *.pamphlet file
(such as SEGBIND.ps and segbind.ps) should be deleted from the /ps
directory.

Here is a quick hack to show which files in src/doc/ps are not
used in any src/doc/*.pamphlet file:

$ cd /home/page/axiom.build-improvements/src/doc
$ ls ps > ps_old
$ grep 'ps/.*\.ps.*}' *.pamphlet | \
  awk '{FS="ps/"; print substr($2,0,index($2,".ps")+2);}' | \
  sort | uniq > ps_new
$ diff --unified=0 ps_old ps_new | \
  awk '/^-[^-]/ { print substr($1,2)}'

2Dcos.ps
2Dsincos.ps
2Dsin.ps
atan-1.epsi
basic2d.ps
bessintr.eps
bessintr.epsi
h-browse.ps
h-condition.ps
h-crossref.ps
h-inverse.ps
h-matrixops1.ps
h-matrixops2.ps
h-matrix.ps
h-matusers.ps
h-opsearch.ps
h-origins.ps
h-parameter.ps
h-signature.ps
knot3.ps
P28a.eps
P28b.eps
segbind.ps
SEGBIND.ps
wd-atanz.ps
wd-bessi3.ps
wd-bessi3s.ps
wd-bessi.ps
wd-bessj.ps
wd-beta.ps
wd-expz.ps
wd-gammaz.ps

--------

Here is a similar hack for bitmaps:

$ cd
$ ls ../bitmaps > bitmap_old
$ grep 'inputbitmap{\\htbmdir{}' * | \
  awk '{FS="{}/";print substr($2,1,index($2,"}}")-1)}' | \
  sort | uniq > bitmap_new
$ diff --unified=0 bitmap_old bitmap_new | \
  awk '/^-[^-]/ { print substr($1,2)}'

ai.bitmap
Al.bitmap
alphaj.bitmap