Re: [Axiom-developer] Building Axiom twice

From: root
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Building Axiom twice
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2006 11:37:08 -0500

> That begs the question: why not put those warm data and files in
> interpsys too, so that we only have one image to care about?

Because the "warm data" algebra has to be compiled before it can
be loaded. PositiveInteger needs to be compiled in interpsys.

AXIOMsys is a "ship system" and it preloaded the previously compiled
PositiveInteger as well as up-to-date databases. There is a check
(currently broken) that the timestamp in the database files is
checked against the timestamp of the database files which are
preloaded into AXIOMsys. If the time stamps of the external database
files match the preloaded databases then the external files are ignored.
If not the external databases are consulted. You can see this because
axiom currently mutters about "reloading" databases when it starts.
This SHOULD be the exception but, as I said, the timestamp mechanism
is broken.

Tim