Re: [Axiom-developer] Building Axiom twice

From: Waldek Hebisch
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Building Axiom twice
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2006 13:46:03 +0100 (CET)

> > That begs the question: why not put those warm data and files in
> > interpsys too, so that we only have one image to care about?
>
> Because the "warm data" algebra has to be compiled before it can
> be loaded. PositiveInteger needs to be compiled in interpsys.

AFAICS currently interpsys and AXIOMsys preload the same data ("warm.data"
just preloads a bunch of entries in topics hashtable)

> AXIOMsys is a "ship system" and it preloaded the previously compiled
> PositiveInteger as well as up-to-date databases. There is a check
> (currently broken) that the timestamp in the database files is
> checked against the timestamp of the database files which are
> preloaded into AXIOMsys. If the time stamps of the external database
> files match the preloaded databases then the external files are ignored.
> If not the external databases are consulted. You can see this because
> axiom currently mutters about "reloading" databases when it starts.
> This SHOULD be the exception but, as I said, the timestamp mechanism
> is broken.

AFAICS the timestamp mechanism works fine, we just need a little change
to Makefiles to preload the new databases.  If you check current
build-improvements you will see that messages about databases are gone.
And the whole tread started discussing this patch.

--
                              Waldek Hebisch
address@hidden