Re: [Axiom-developer] Building Axiom twice

From: Gabriel Dos Reis
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Building Axiom twice
Date: 22 Nov 2006 18:54:38 +0100

Waldek Hebisch <address@hidden> writes:

[...]

| > Now that we don't need to build a patched version of GCL, we do
| > this:
| >   (1) build noweb if necessary
| >   (2) build GCL if necessaary -- as if we build on its own; however
| >          install in $(axiom_builddir)
| >   (3) build a Lisp image that contains objects from src/lib
| >       (a) so, we must have built src/lib before building the Lips image.
| >

| In the main Makefile we have:
|
| SUBDIRS = src/lib lsp src
|
| and the recursive part will build subdirectories in this strictly
| sequential order.

No, that is untrue if you say "make -jN", aka parallel build, which
build-improvements must support.

|  So, as long as recursive logic remains sequential
| stamps are redundant.

I think you're making too much of oversimplifying unspoken assumptions.
README.build-improvements reads:

   * Support parallel build.
     Notice that GCL does not support parallel build.  So we can punt
     on build of GCL.  We should work with Camm to fix GCL build
     upstream.

If you remove the dependency, you break parallel builds.
(Currently, you can do parallel builds until you hit algebra --
assumign you don't have to build GCL).