Re: [Axiom-developer] Building Axiom twice

From: Waldek Hebisch
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Building Axiom twice
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2006 17:23:42 +0100 (CET)

Gabriel Dos Reis wrote:
> Waldek Hebisch <address@hidden> writes:
>
> | Remark2. From my point of view the stamp stuff in the main Makefile
> | is not doing anything usefull,
>
> Could you clarify what you mean by this?
>

> | diff -ru build-improvements.bb/Makefile.pamphlet
> build-improvements/Makefile.pamphlet
> | --- build-improvements.bb/Makefile.pamphlet 2006-11-21 00:10:38.000000000
> +0100
> | +++ build-improvements/Makefile.pamphlet    2006-11-21 02:27:34.000000000
> +0100
> | @@ -263,10 +263,6 @@
> |  all-recursive: @axiom_required_build_utils@
> |
> |  all-ax:
> | -   @ echo 1 making a ${SYS} system, PART=${PART} SUBPART=${SUBPART}
> | -   @ echo 2 Environment ${ENV}
> | -   @ $(MAKE) stamp-rootdirs
> | -   @ ${ENV} $(MAKE) $(src_stamp)
> |     @echo 3 finished system build on `date` | tee >lastBuildDate
>
> Why?
>
> |  all-bootsys: $(lsp_stamp)
> | @@ -279,9 +275,6 @@
> |  <<noweb>>
> |  <<install>>
> |
> | -$(src_stamp): $(lsp_stamp)
> | -   cd $(build_srcdir) && $(ENV) $(MAKE)
> | -
>
> Why?

We have already run make in src subdirectory: the first run is
from recursive part.  So I must ask why do you want to run make
in src subdirectory twice?  My understanding was that you did not
intend that.

You may say that the problem really is that Makefile in src
subdirectory did not create the stamp.  But in general only
Makefile in subdirectory has knowledge needed to check if targets
are up to date, so we must run make in subdirectories unconditionally.
One make in subdriectory have run extra check on stamp is redundant
(stamps are usefull when you have multiple subdirectories and you
want bulk dependency on another subdirectory, but not in the main
Makefile).

--
                              Waldek Hebisch
address@hidden