Re: [Axiom-developer] root chunks

From: Ralf Hemmecke
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] root chunks
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2007 10:53:10 +0200

> In general I feel that there should be no correspondence between
> filenames and contents. The namespace and organization of files is
> not related to the namespace and organization of information.

Tim, I am happy that you share my opinion. Chunk names should be considered like section titles: they should tell you something about the content. A filename usually will not do this.

It is true that there is some relation between the content of the files and the build order, but the content is for humans (and would describe the algebra) and so the description of the build process (which is also for humans but describes a different topic) should better be concentrated in Makefiles (or rather pamphlets of Makefiles).

In my opinion, we still have to come up with a good definition of what a pamphlet actually is. I tend to favour something like the way OpenOffice stores a file (eg a worksheet). That is a zip file of a whole directory. Internally OO certainly sees all the different files, but as a user you would have one file to deal with. I would rather call such a zip file a pamphlet. But the term "pamphlet" is already in use so another name would probably cause less confusion.

Ralf