Re: [Axiom-developer] Re: root chunks

From: C Y
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Re: root chunks
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2007 12:35:00 -0700 (PDT)

--- Stephen Wilson <address@hidden> wrote:

> If your working exclusively with SBCL, you /may/ be surprised when
> you try with an ANSI 2.6.8pre.  It certainly has missing features,
> but is quite usable as a near-ansi lisp.  I used to work with SBCL
> exclusively. But the strides GCL has made recently towards ansi and

I thought most of those strides were in the 2.7.0 branch?  I guess I
need to check the ANSI build of 2.6.8pre again.

> the amazing resource we have with Camm willing and able to tailor GCL
> to our needs

No question there :-).  (Note to self, don't scare Camm away with dpANS
talk...)

> is very close to convincing me that GCL should be our
> primary Lisp target (as opposed to investing effort in supporting
> other lisps, and finding generic solutions to problems which require
> compiler support).  I do miss Slime though :(

A long time back there were some efforts to get Slime working on GCL -
I don't know if anyone has revisited the issue lately.

One trick I was able to pull with Maxima once was to have two Emacs
connections to the same Maxima session - one talking to the Lisp REPL
and the other talking to the command prompt.  This allowed one to
perform normal commands in the command line and work inside the Slime
environment at the Lisp level at the same time :-).  It needed threads
though - the swank server in one and the normal Maxima session in the
other - and some special startup was required to trigger swank, IIRC.
Once the asdf work is set up it might be worth trying to do that again
for Axiom.  Does GCL have threads?

> Hey, while your at it, could you teach Slime how to handle pamphlets?
> :)

Erm. :-).  I suppose its possible...

> > It's enough effort to do all this without having to worry about
> > backwards compatibility - I would suggest we release a gold version
> > soon and make that the last gold version based on a non ANSI lisp.
> > Based on attempts so far I'm afraid merging the ANSI changes into
> > Silver may be an ordeal, but it is a necessary step.
>
> I agree.  Have thought about this too.  We should have some notion of
> when development on Silver will be frozen and when it will get
> promoted to Gold.

That would be nice.

Cheers,
CY