Re: [Axiom-developer] Re: root chunks

From: Stephen Wilson
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Re: root chunks
Date: 22 Jun 2007 15:07:01 -0400

C Y <address@hidden> writes:
[...]
> I plan to show it to the world once I reach the point where I can
> successfully handle lisp, boot and spad pamphlets.  Other goodies like
> the hyperdoc system and c files for sman and friends will have to come
> later.  I'd like to look at alternate solutions to some of that anyway
> but that's down the road (might as well not annoy folks with more Lisp
> talk.)

Great, I look forward to seeing the prototype.

[...]
> :-).  I've got just enough working that it's getting fun.  I'm working
> in SBCL at the moment - once I have something working we can look at
> porting it to GCL et. al.  I'm not too interested in supporting the
> legacy GCL - 2.7.0 makes more sense to me.

If your working exclusively with SBCL, you /may/ be surprised when you
try with an ANSI 2.6.8pre.  It certainly has missing features, but is
quite usable as a near-ansi lisp.  I used to work with SBCL
exclusively. But the strides GCL has made recently towards ansi and
the amazing resource we have with Camm willing and able to tailor GCL
to our needs is very close to convincing me that GCL should be our
primary Lisp target (as opposed to investing effort in supporting
other lisps, and finding generic solutions to problems which require
compiler support).  I do miss Slime though :(

Hey, while your at it, could you teach Slime how to handle pamphlets?
:)

> It's enough effort to do all this without having to worry about
> backwards compatibility - I would suggest we release a gold version
> soon and make that the last gold version based on a non ANSI lisp.
> Based on attempts so far I'm afraid merging the ANSI changes into
> Silver may be an ordeal, but it is a necessary step.

I agree.  Have thought about this too.  We should have some notion of
when development on Silver will be frozen and when it will get
promoted to Gold.

Thanks,
Steve