Re: a meta name for axiom, open.axiom, fricas. was: Re: [Axiom-developer

From: M. Edward (Ed) Borasky
Subject: Re: a meta name for axiom, open.axiom, fricas. was: Re: [Axiom-developer] Re: [#55] Axiom doesn't run on Windows
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2007 20:23:55 -0800

root wrote:
Dirk Eddelbuettel called "Quantian"

I worked with him on that. Haven't heard from him in a while.
Have to msg him. Prior to Quantian I was distributing "Rosetta"
CDs which had about 100 CAS-ish systems on them. Along came Knoppix. I started the Doyen effort but Dirk got the Knoppix thing up and running very quickly.
Quantian is a nice piece of work.

Tim

Yeah ... I'm on their mailing list. Dirk hasn't done much with it in the past couple of years, actually. The big deal was clustering via OpenMosix, and I think OpenMosix didn't survive the transition from the 2.4 to 2.6 kernel, or something like that. Keeping up with the R libraries on Debian keeps him pretty busy, I think, plus I also think he has a full-time job as a quant somewhere too.

A year or so ago I got a CD from ACM SIGSAM with a bunch of CAS on it, including, of course, Axiom. I don't remember what else was on there, but I don't think there were any I hadn't heard of from either Debian or Gentoo.

BTW ... it's possible I'll have my One Laptop Per Child machine before the end of the year. The shipments have started, and I ordered early enough that I might get it between Christmas and New Years, or at worst, in the first week or two of January. So I am looking for a lightweight CAS. I've got Maxima (SBCL runtime) working on the virtual machine, so if there's room, that's probably what I'll go with. For what I do -- queuing theory mostly -- it has everything I need (matrices, Laplace transforms and basic algebra and calculus).