Re: a meta name for axiom, open.axiom, fricas. was: Re: [Axiom-developer

From: M. Edward (Ed) Borasky
Subject: Re: a meta name for axiom, open.axiom, fricas. was: Re: [Axiom-developer] Re: [#55] Axiom doesn't run on Windows
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2007 23:20:22 -0800

root wrote:
BTW ... it's possible I'll have my One Laptop Per Child machine before the end of the year. The shipments have started, and I ordered early enough that I might get it between Christmas and New Years, or at worst, in the first week or two of January. So I am looking for a lightweight CAS. I've got Maxima (SBCL runtime) working on the virtual machine, so if there's room, that's probably what I'll go with. For what I do -- queuing theory mostly -- it has everything I need (matrices, Laplace transforms and basic algebra and calculus).

I'm trying to set up the sugar VMware environment for that.

Axiom has run on a lap with 16 megs of memory. It will possibly run on the OLPC, depending on the native support shipped.

Tim

The biggest bottleneck appears to be the size of the flash disk, about 1 GB. The images I've been downloading are about 800 MB full and 200 MB free, so there's not a lot of room to install more software. It doesn't ship with gcc, so you have to cross-compile (which ain't all that bad a deal). Basically, what you want to do is build a binary i386 (actually I think i686 works) RPM and install it.

When I build the virtual machines, I put a new 1.5 GB or 2 GB virtual disk on them, and then copy the downloaded 1 GB image filesystem over to the new one. Fedora 8 Rescue CD is your friend. :)

I haven't been able to get VMware Tools to configure. That needs perl, gcc, make and kernel headers. But the virtual machine appears to work without VMware Tools.

If you have an RPM somewhere, I'll try to load it into my virtual machine.