[Axiom-developer] Re: [fricas-devel] Re: a meta name for axiom, open.axi

From: Gabriel Dos Reis
Subject: [Axiom-developer] Re: [fricas-devel] Re: a meta name for axiom, open.axiom, fricas
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2007 09:21:21 -0600 (CST)

On Thu, 20 Dec 2007, C Y wrote:

| Martin Rubey wrote:
|
| >> If you'd like to propose a meta-name that is not Axiom
| >
| > Please propose such a name.  I cannot.  For me, the meta name is Axiom, and
| > there happens to be a sub-project bearing the same name.  But that's my
| > personal and biased view of things.
|
| What about Scratchpad?  If I've got the history right all of these
| systems might be considered descendants of Scratchpad, and I don't think
| there is any longer a product called Scratchpad to be confused with
| them?  Or perhaps Scratchpad-Type systems if that's better?

Technically AXIOM -- all caps -- isn't owned by any of the projects.
I'd prefer to stick to it.

At a recent NSF workshop, I spoke with some people directly invoved in
making AXIOM open source.  From what I understand, the claim that
someone other than NAG owns Axiom may be a joke.  Furthermore, I also
learnt that `Open Axiom' or `OpenAxiom' was the name that was
originally proposed.  I wasn't aware of that fact.