[Axiom-developer] Re: [fricas-devel] Re: a meta name for axiom, open.axi

From: C Y
Subject: [Axiom-developer] Re: [fricas-devel] Re: a meta name for axiom, open.axiom, fricas
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2007 08:58:19 -0800 (PST)

--- Gabriel Dos Reis <address@hidden> wrote:

> | What about Scratchpad?  If I've got the history right all of these
> | systems might be considered descendants of Scratchpad, and I don't
> | think there is any longer a product called Scratchpad to be
> | confused with them?  Or perhaps Scratchpad-Type systems if that's
> | better?
>
> Technically AXIOM -- all caps -- isn't owned by any of the projects.
> I'd prefer to stick to it.

Even at the expense of continued difficulties and confusion?  Wouldn't
it be far simpler just to change it and be done with it?

> At a recent NSF workshop, I spoke with some people directly invoved
> in making AXIOM open source.  From what I understand, the claim that
> someone other than NAG owns Axiom may be a joke.

The only hard, independent evidence I have seen on the issue is the
TESS database the USPTO maintains:
http://tess2.uspto.gov/bin/gate.exe?f=login&p_lang=english&p_d=trmk  -
the only two entries I get for Numerical AND AXIOM are both listed as
dead.  I'm not an expert of course, so the folks at NAG may know
something I don't.

> Furthermore, I also learnt that `Open Axiom' or `OpenAxiom' was the
> name that was originally proposed.  I wasn't aware of that fact.

Interesting.

CY

Be a better friend, newshound, and