ayttm-devel

[Ayttm-devel] Contact and group management

From: Colin Leroy
Subject: [Ayttm-devel] Contact and group management
Date: Sat, 18 Jan 2003 11:13:32 +0100

Hi,

Question about $SUBJ when we're offline.

Most of the callbacks I checked in modules (add_user, del_user,
change_group, ...) simply return if not connected.
This is the best way to lose sync with the server lists if we
move, add, delete contacts when offline :(

Two ways to fix it
a) simple & stupid method: check whether all services for a contact are
online, and if not, warn (or forbid) before performing the move/add/del.

b) hard but cool method: Implement a pending moves/add/del system, by
logging such operations to a file and performing them server-side as
soon as we get online. Logging could go to a file like this

#Service Operation Account        Oldgroup Newgroup
 Yahoo   ADD       colin          NULL     Friends
 MSN     MOV       address@hidden Buddies  Eb-devel
 AIM     DEL       colin          Buddies  NULL
 AIM     IGN       boss           NULL     NULL
 Yahoo   !IGN      myfriend       NULL     NULL

(I think all the necessary info is there)

method A could be implemented before 0.2.1, method B could be done after.

What do you think ?
--
Colin
"Life's not fair,[...] But the root password helps."