ayttm-devel

Re: [Ayttm-devel] defaults.h and automake

From: Philip S Tellis
Subject: Re: [Ayttm-devel] defaults.h and automake
Date: Sat, 18 Jan 2003 16:03:07 +0530 (IST)

Sometime Today, Colin Leroy assembled some asciibets to say:

> I guess their answer would be "your scripts are too old" :))

well, considering that the default auto* on most distros is just as old
(many still ship autoconf 2.13), there's nothing we can do.

IMO, developers should stick to the latest (stable at least) versions,
but since we have anoncvs, many non devels also use cvs.

> I get about twenty lines of this when running ./gen, for example:
> src/Makefile.am:26: `CFLAGS' is a user variable, you should not override
> it;
> src/Makefile.am:26: use `AM_CFLAGS' instead.
> src/Makefile.am:28: `LDFLAGS' is a user variable, you should not override
> it;
> src/Makefile.am:28: use `AM_LDFLAGS' instead.

I should have fixed this a long time ago, except it was just never
documented that I should be using AM_*  I got some hint from reading the
source of the generated Makefiles, but no concrete docs as to what those
were for.  Will fix it after 0.2.1

PS:  I'm going ahead with post 0.2.1 changes.  Will commit part by part
after the release.

Philip