biborb-general

Re: [Biborb-general] trouble shooting questions

From: Guillaume Gardey
Subject: Re: [Biborb-general] trouble shooting questions
Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2004 10:05:58 +0100

"Export to HTML" and "Export to BibTeX" cause the papers present in the basket to be transform in HTML (to have the HTML code for web home pages for instance) or BibTeX (to save a subset of the bibliography somewhere else). At the end of the first line of each entry there is a small "+" that adds the papers to the basket.

Concerning "update from BibTeX" and "update from XML", they are not this kind of "import".

I briefly explain how BibORB runs.
When creating a new bibliography "sample", a new directory "sample" is created. In this directory, a directory "papers" is created to store uploaded files (url,urlzip,pdf fields) and two files "sample.bib" "sample.xml" are created. "sample.bib" and "sample.xml" contain the same data, but just formatted differently. So when you edit, modify or display entries, the "sample.xml" file is modified or processed whit XSLT to render an HTML output. BibORB transform each time the "sample.xml" file is modified in "sample.bib" in order to have an up-to-date copy in BibTeX of the bibliography. So, "update from BibTeX" means that BibORB will translate "sample.bib" into "sample.xml" to update the database and "update from BibTeX" "sample.xml" into "sample.bib". These two functions are useful if you use an external editor to edit your bibliography in BibTeX format or in XML.

If you want to import an existing bibliography, you should just copy it to "sample.bib" and "update from BibTeX". BibORB will update the XML and you will be able to browse your bibliography.

It is exact there is no HTML output anywhere: pages are generated on demand using PHP for the interface (menu) and XSLT to display entries.

I promise i will put some more documentation in the definitive release. I also take into account your remarks concerning import, an interface to import an existing bibliography will be nice (another line in my TODO :) ).

Thanks a lot.

Guillaume