biborb-general

Re: [Biborb-general] trouble shooting questions

From: Guillaume Gardey
Subject: Re: [Biborb-general] trouble shooting questions
Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2004 21:33:12 +0100

Hi,

If you want to import an existing bibliography, you should just copy it to "sample.bib" and "update from BibTeX". BibORB will update the XML and you will be able to browse your bibliography.

Since BibORB assumes that one would run it on some remote hosting server, for me, one crucial function is to be able to download a bibtex output and use it for my paper writing. Now, I understand there will always be an up-to-date "sample.bib" there converted from its XML counterpart, but it would be quite an *inconvinence* to login to remote server and sftp it back. If this bib is going to open to public, most of the users may not have venue at all, so I regard this, i.e. "online download" an essential function. Any thought?

concerning the "online download" I have added a "Download" link when displaying the list of available bibliographies. I agree with your analysis when using biborb with a remote server. This is a use I do not really test because I both develop and run biborb on my local machine. But actually, I am not totally satisfied with this "quick" solution :). The bibtex is the one used by biborb and contains some not needed information or information you do not want to share . url, urlzip, pdf, link, notes, longnotes are related to local files on the server (electronic version of papers) or personal notes. For instance url, urlzip and pdf are relative path that do not mean nothing for a visitor. I will try to do some php/xslt functions to define which fields are available for downloads.

It is exact there is no HTML output anywhere: pages are generated on demand using PHP for the interface (menu) and XSLT to display entries.

I don't understand what you mean here: is blank page supposed to be normal in this case?

Concerning "Export to HTML" and "Export to BibTeX" which generate a blank page, it is normal if there are no entry recorded in the basket. Otherwise it is a bug (that i have not encountered yet). For "update from bibtex", you should be redirected to the welcome page of the current bibliography (menu+statistics). If blank, one more bug :( .

As a side note, I can think of seveal ways to implement both "download" and "import" function, should not be too difficult, you have laid the firm foundation there already. Unfortunately, I have never done much php programming (but I do know how to use python to get it done), so I am not much of a helper now. In general, I think the software is promising, I'd like to help in other ways.

I notice that you seems also to be concerned with security (I do not know lot of people using sftp, scp, ssh or gpg in my laboratory). I think that there are many things to do with biborb with security in order to run a "safe" version on a server. I provided an authentication method using a database to provide write access to register user. As I am not an expert in web server and security there is certainly more stuff to do here.

Finally, import seems to really be a *must have* for the final 1.2 version, your are not the only one to ask for it. So, I am working on it.

Well, to be honest these are my first programming steps in php, xml, xslt, xhtml and css. I am not an expert at all so any advices, thoughts, bug reports or functions to add to biborb will be welcome.

Thanks a lot

Guillaume