biborb-general

Re: [Biborb-general] trouble shooting questions

From: Feiyi Wang
Subject: Re: [Biborb-general] trouble shooting questions
Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2004 11:17:51 -0500

Gardey,

So, "update from BibTeX" means that BibORB will translate "sample.bib" into "sample.xml" to update the database and "update from BibTeX" "sample.xml" into "sample.bib". These two functions are useful if you use an external editor to edit your bibliography in BibTeX format or in XML.

This certainly helps a lot on my understanding :-) thanks

If you want to import an existing bibliography, you should just copy it to "sample.bib" and "update from BibTeX". BibORB will update the XML and you will be able to browse your bibliography.

Since BibORB assumes that one would run it on some remote hosting server, for me, one crucial function is to be able to download a bibtex output and use it for my paper writing. Now, I understand there will always be an up-to-date "sample.bib" there converted from its XML counterpart, but it would be quite an *inconvinence* to login to remote server and sftp it back. If this bib is going to open to public, most of the users may not have venue at all, so I regard this, i.e. "online download" an essential function. Any thought?

It is exact there is no HTML output anywhere: pages are generated on demand using PHP for the interface (menu) and XSLT to display entries.

I don't understand what you mean here: is blank page supposed to be normal in this case?

As a side note, I can think of seveal ways to implement both "download" and "import" function, should not be too difficult, you have laid the firm foundation there already. Unfortunately, I have never done much php programming (but I do know how to use python to get it done), so I am not much of a helper now. In general, I think the software is promising, I'd like to help in other ways.

Cheers,

Feiyi

--
Feiyi Wang (Ph.D)