bongo-devel

[bongo-devel] `RET' on section headers (was: I want to make `f' and `b'

From: Daniel Brockman
Subject: [bongo-devel] `RET' on section headers (was: I want to make `f' and `b' move point)
Date: Tue, 06 Mar 2007 09:40:33 +0100

address@hidden (Daniel Jensen) writes:

> Daniel Brockman <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> By the way, I think `RET' on a section header really should
>> play (or enqueue-play) that section instead of collapsing it.
>
> Even in a playlist buffer?

Good point.  It's not nearly as useful in a playlist buffer.

>> Though the undoability of collapsing makes it a good candidate
>> for such an easy-to-hit key as `RET', the fact that the same
>> key on a track means `play' makes it a poor choice.
>
> Why is it a poor choice? Isn't that what DWIM means?

It's a poor choice because using `RET' on tracks in a
library buffer teaches you that `RET' means enqueue-play.
Since this operation is meaningful and useful on albums as
well as individual tracks, it is natural to expect the same
key to do the same thing to albums.

>> What are your preferences regarding this?
>
> RET meaning collapse/expand is usually WIM (for me),

I guess we just M different things.

> though I also use other keys and the mouse.

What other keys do you use?

> If you change the DWIM to play the section, this would
> also change the meaning of mouse clicks. I wouldn't like
> that behaviour for the mouse.

Another good point.  Maybe we should have a context menu?
That would make it easy to do different things to albums.
If we also add a user option for the meaning of `RET', I
think we've covered all bases.  I would be happy with having
the current behavior as default.

Is there a standard way to do context menus in Emacs?
What button should they be on, for example?  My experience
with other applications says <mouse-3>, but I have never
used the mouse much in Emacs and I wouldn't know.

--
Daniel Brockman <address@hidden>