bongo-devel

Re: [bongo-devel] Re: YouTube videos

From: Daniel Brockman
Subject: Re: [bongo-devel] Re: YouTube videos
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2007 02:50:13 +0100

address@hidden (Daniel Jensen) writes:

> Daniel Brockman <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> It would be nice if the file was downloaded directly to the
>> file inserted into Bongo, so that you could start playing it
>> immediately despite it not being fully downloaded.
>>
>> I don't know how to tell `url-retrieve' to download directly
>> into a specific file --- do you?
>
> That is a good idea, but I don't know if Emacs can do it. I guess it's
> easier to use an external command for that. I found some interesting
> code in mm-url.el, though it looks like it needs some work.

Hmm, okay, thanks.

> However, my connection is not good enough for watching movies like
> this. There will be end-of-file errors. I might as well download the
> whole thing before I watch it.

I see.

> Another approach that I like better is to play the video file like a
> stream. If the player knows what it's doing, it will do buffering for
> me, right?

Sure, but sometimes I _want_ to save streams to disk.

> (defun bongo-insert-youtube-url (youtube-url)
>   (interactive
>    (list (bongo-read-uri "Youtube URL")))
>   (with-current-buffer (url-retrieve-synchronously youtube-url)
>     (re-search-forward bongo-youtube-video-regexp)
>     (let ((real-uri (concat bongo-youtube-base-url (match-string 1))))
>       (goto-char (point-min))
>       (re-search-forward bongo-youtube-title-regexp)
>       (bongo-insert-uri real-uri (match-string 1)))
>     (kill-buffer (current-buffer))))
>
> Sadly, it looks like VLC cannot handle this;

Yeah, too bad.

It's really lame that YouTube won't serve its video data in
any other format but Macromedia Flash.  Really lame.  GRRR!

I mean, we the users uploaded that data.  The least they can
do is serve it back to us in an open format.

Maybe YouTube needs to be displaced by something friendlier.
I assume there are some CC-inspired video repositories?

> it barfs on EOF.

What do you mean, barfs on EOF?

> It does work all the way with Mplayer. (Not tested with
> the back-end, I don't have it installed.)

Good to know.

--
Daniel Brockman <address@hidden>